Skip to main content

I SPEAK FRENCH - AND IT'S A GREAT NINJA PARENTING SKILL


I speak French as a first language, though my French sounds more and more Frenglishy with all the years that pass.  


French is a super useful language because not as many people speak it around these parts as they do Spanish.  So whenever there's a problem or a socially awkward situation going on, I can revert to French with my family.  


A fond family tradition passed down from one generation to the next in my family is switching to French to shout thinly-veiled threats to kids who are not following parent directions.


My son does not speak a whole lot of French, but he understands it well.  It brings back an adorable anecdote from his first visit to a public restroom (this one at the library) when he was a wee lad.




Dear Son (in the middle of the library, loudly in semi-English): Mommy! Me want to go poopoo in library toilette!

Me (in French): OK. OK, let's go!


(We walk into the bathroom and start the "keep your hands off everything!" routine. 

Another woman walks in and sits down in the next stall. She starts grunting and straining loudly . I am not making this up.)


Dear Son (Eng): Hey, Mommy! Look! Look at me poopoo! That's a BIIIIIIIIGGGGG one!"

Me (Fr.): Shhhh! Yes! Very big. But shhhh. Not everyone wants to hear about your poopoo.


Dear Son (more loudly, in Eng.): Hey, look at all this peepee me make! All this yellow peepee in this toilet and this big poopoo!

Me (cringing, Fr.): Yes. Shh. Remember, we don't need to talk about that when we're out somewhere.


(Lady next to us starts grunting more loudly)




Dear Son (looking shocked, loudly in Eng.): Mommy!! What that sound!?

Me (English, loudly): That's you peeing, silly! (Fr.) Don't say anything! Don't say anything else while we're in this bathroom, ok!?

Dear Son (Eng): OK! Why!? Why, Mommy!? (tries to look under the bathroom stall with his pants around his ankles... I yank him up)


(We exit the stall and I wash his hands. Lady behind us starts pushing and breathing rhythmically as if ready to deliver a child.)


Dear Son (whirling around and gaping at the stall door): Mommy!! WHAT....

Me (interrupting, Fr.): Remember what I said!! NO talking right now!! Don't say anything until we leave the bathroom!!!"


Dear Son complies.

Honestly, I'd say that went as reasonably well as one could expect.





I used to teach French to middle schoolers.  They liked learning a secret spy language they could use to talk to each other about secret stuff no one was trying to overhear. 


Today, I created a thing on Teachers Pay Teachers.  It's a color-by-French-IR-verb-conjugations.  It's better for older kids.  My students love color-by-anythings!  




Bargain basement price of $2.50 in my Teachers Pay Teachers store!

Comments